Thursday, December 13, 2012

Falling Icicles from #TIES12

So, the last two weeks have been a whirlwind of #EdTech Conference/Workshop attending for this new Tech Integration Coach. As a matter of fact, the last two months have been that way. I even got a subscription to Sirius radio for my car because we've been bonding so much lately.

It's actually a miracle I made it to the annual TIES Conference in Minneapolis recently, with the foot-plus snowstorm that smothered the great Twin Cities.  However, once settled in and after listening to the likes of Dr. Tony Wagner (Creating Innovators), Sal Khan (Khan Academy) and Simon Sinek (Start with the Why and the Golden Circle), two points shot through my soul like an icicle falling off the roof:

  1. There's so much I don't know; and,
  2. I don't need to.

From these guys, I learned that as long as we incorporate Passion, Purpose and Play into our careers, our teachings and learnings, our lives, we're golden.

From these guys I learned that some really awesome chemical motivators (serotonine, dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins) of leadership, compassion and serenity ooze through my being just by starting with the why. They also explain why I tend to fret over not having all the answers (apparently being an alpha can be explained away by human hierarchy).

From these guys I learned that trying to build a house in two weeks is insane, and it isn't necessarily the contractor's fault; the system's broken. Sound like anything remotely close to what we're dealing with in the education world?


That said, back to reality. How can I implement what I've learned from these guys (in addition to the innumerable #EdTechs like me)? Just a few of my #TIES12 takeaways:
  • Time and energy is the best gift I could offer. Money means little.
  • A house will crumble if not given proper time to construct a sound base.
  • Passion, play and purposeful use of technology leads to engaged and achieving learners...and leaders.
  • I have a lot to learn.
  • I'm not done yet.
The normally two-hour trip home turned into almost four hours of contemplation and the occasional skidding off washboard, snow-plastered roads. Safely home and back to change the world in my little neck of the woods, I'm ready for the icicles preparing themselves to fall from the rooftop this winter...and I'll know not to get crushed under them but to embrace them and give them time to fall without hurting anyone.





Happy Holidays to All Out There in the #EdTech World!

No comments:

Post a Comment